I attained my Ph.D. in Industrial and Information Engineering on April 4, 2014, at the University of Udine. My main research interests are propagation-based hybrid meta-heuristics for combinatorial optimization and intelligent parameter tuning, mainly applied to transportation and computational sustainability problems.
Here is an updated list of my publications, organized per research field and sorted by year (desc).
- Kilby, P. and Urli, T. (2015). Fleet Design Optimisation From Historical Data Using Constraint Programming and Large Neighbourhood Search. In Constraints | PDF | PDF (preprint).
- Kilby, P. and Urli, T. (2015). Long-Haul Fleet Mix and Routing Optimisation with Constraint Programming and Large Neighbourhood Search. In Proceedings of CP'15: 21st International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming | Best Application Paper Award 2015 | Please refer to journal version on Constraints.
- Di Gaspero, L. & Rendl, A. & Urli, T. (2015). Balancing Bike Sharing Systems with Constraint Programming. In Constraints | PDF.
- Di Gaspero, L. & Urli, T. (2014). A CP/LNS approach for Multi-day Homecare Scheduling Problems. In Proceedings of HM'14: 9th International Workshop on Hybrid Metaheuristics | PDF | Slides | Talk recording.
- Di Gaspero, L. & Rendl, A. & Urli, T. (2013). Constraint-based approaches for Balancing Bike Sharing Systems . In Proceedings of CP'13: the 19th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming | PDF | Code.
- Di Gaspero, L. & Rendl, A. & Urli, T. (2013). A Hybrid ACO+CP for Balancing Bicycle Sharing Systems . In Proceedings of HM'13: 8th International Workshop on Hybrid Metaheuristics | PDF.
- Urli, T. (2013). Balancing bike sharing systems (BBSS): instance generation from the CitiBike NYC data. On arXiv | PDF.
Meta-heuristics, parameter tuning, and hyper-heuristics
- Bellio, R., Ceschia, S., Di Gaspero, L., Schaerf, A., and Urli, T. (2015). Feature-based tuning of simulated annealing applied to the curriculum-based course timetabling problem. In Computers & Operations Research (Elsevier) | PDF (preprint) | PDF (free access until September 17, 2015).
- Ceschia, S., Di Gaspero, L., Schaerf, A., Urli, T. (2015). A General Local Search Solver for FlatZinc. In Proceedings of MIC'15: 11th Metaheuristics International Conference | PDF.
- Battistutta, M., Schaerf, A., & Urli, T. (2014). Feature-based tuning of single-stage simulated annealing for examination timetabling. In Proceedings of PATAT'14: 10th International Conference of the Practice and Theory of Automated Timetabling | PDF.
- Urli, T. (2013). Hybrid CP+LNS for the Curriculum-Based Course Timetabling Problem. In CP'13 Doctoral Program | PDF | Slides.
- Bellio R. & Ceschia S. & Di Gaspero L. & Schaerf A. & Urli T. (2013). A simulated annealing approach to the curriculum-based course timetabling problem . In Proceedings of MISTA'13: the 6th Multidisciplinary International Scheduling Conference: Theory and Applications | PDF | Slides.
- Di Gaspero, L. & Urli, T. (2012). Evaluation of a family of Reinforcement Learning cross-domain heuristics for optimization. In Proceedings of LION 6: Learning and Intelligent Optimization | PDF | Normalized function value plots.
- Di Gaspero, L. & Urli, T. (2011). A Reinforcement Learning approach for the Cross-Domain Heuristic Search Challenge. In Proceedings of MIC 2011: The IX Metaheuristics International Conference | PDF | Slides.
Tools for Experimental Analysis
- Wagner M., Neumann F., T. Urli. (2015). On the Performance of Different Genetic Programming Approaches for the SORTING Problem. In Evolutionary Computation Journal (MIT Press) | PDF.
- Nguyen A. Q., Urli T. and Wagner M. (2013). Single- and Multi-Objective Genetic Programming: New Bounds for Weighted Order and Majority. In Post-proceedings of FOGA 2013 - Foundation of Genetic Algorithms 2013 | PDF
- Urli T., Wagner M. and Neumann F. (2012). Experimental Supplements to the Computational Complexity Analysis of Genetic Programming for Problems Modelling Isolated Program Semantics. In Proceedings of PPSN 2012 - 12th International Conference on Parallel Problem Solving From Nature | PDF.
- GPFramework (0.1) a Java framework for rapid prototyping of mutation-only Genetic Programming systems (mostly, but not exclusively, with the goal to assess their computational complexity). Hosted at:
Virtual camera control
Even if, strictly speaking, it has never been published anywhere, my M.Sc. thesis (English) is about virtual camera control. I also authored a paper on the topic
- Ranon, R. & Urli, T. (2014). Improving the Efficiency of Viewpoint Computation. In IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (Issue 99). | PDF.
- Ranon, R., Christie, M. & Urli, T. (2010). Accurately Measuring the Satisfaction of Visual Properties in Virtual Camera Control. In R. Taylor, P. Boulanger, A. Krüger & P. Olivier (Eds.), Proceedings of Smart Graphics 2010 (Vol. 6133, pp. 91-102). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg. | PDF.
In December, 2013 I submitted my Ph.D. thesis for approval. Here is the pre-print version (March, 2014).
- Urli, T. (2014). Hybrid meta-heuristics for combinatorial optimization. PDF.
I am also involved in various activities related to the academic world
I used to give some extra lectures (e.g. laboratory hours) for courses at the Faculty of Engineering. Here are some slides about practical network and system attacks I gave in 2011 for the Computer security course by Prof. Pier Luca Montessoro.
- Lecture about buffer overflow and SQL injection | Slides | Material,
- lecture about mitm attacks over LAN networks | Slides | Material (for patched Ettercap, see license in package),
- lecture about WEP networks cracking | Slides
Note: all the slides are in Italian.
In case you need to contact me you can either:
- dial +61 6267 6362,
- drop me a line at ,
- come find me at
Tower A, Level 3
7 London Circuit Canberra, ACT 2601